Wednesday, 9 May 2012
10 Tips to Successful Housebreaking
2. Toilet pups anywhere from 5 to 40 min. after feeding.
3. Watch for your puppy's toileting signals (sniffing, circling, sprinting, etc).
4. Secure a command you will use for toileting ("go potty", peepee, etc) and repeat and reinforce.
5. Provide 100% supervision of your puppy and when unable, crate your puppy (your puppy's natural instinct will prevent it from soiling its own den).
6. Reinforce your command while your puppy is doing its business and give uber-praise after his duties.
7. Choose one spot for your puppy to relieve himself and take him to the same spot every time.
8. Monitor your puppy's washrooming times (if you feed on a regular schedule, your pup will go on a regular schedule).
9. Washroom first thing in the morning, after play or excitement, after waking up and approx. 30 min. after eating.
10. Set your puppy up to have an accident, supervise closely, catch him in the act and provide a learning lesson by disrupting his duty with a loud "aagh" or clap and then take him directly to his relief spot while reinforcing the washroom command.