Wednesday, 30 May 2012

The Dangers of Sugarless Gum and Your Dog

After a recent visit to the vet, we discussed common things found in the home that could be hazardous to our dog. Among them, something often found in a home with children is sugarless gum. Sugarless gum contains a sweetener called xylitol which is obviously harmless to humans but deadly to dogs. The natural flavouring in gum is often an attraction for dogs who unknowingly may consume the gum and its deadly toxin as was the case with Kelly Osborne's pomeranian who almost died from the ingestion. Xylitol toxicity should be treated immediately. Symptoms could include imbalance, immediate vomiting and seizures. Please advise your children of the dangers of sugarless gum to their dogs.

1 comment:

  1. Man, that's scary. I'm going to tell my friends at the dog park. I wonder if other "sugarless" products have that ingredient too.